Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Rosie and I are still chugging along

So now I am here for a completely different thing. As mentioned, I am now retired and suddenly find that I have time to watch TV and movies -- and I have discovered what looks like a great site - see the URL under links.

I haven't actually tried it yet, so will have to add posts as I discover more, but they seem to have up to date listings, and this is especially good for Canadians who are out in the sticks with two f------- channels only. The monthly fee is low at $4.95 and there is a way to get a free membership. I would suggest visiting the site to check it out.

As I said, I will check it out myself and post further comments.

So the other day, I happened to touch the white plastic lens cover of the driver's side tail light assembly and it responded in typical Volvo fashion with plastics -- it crumbled! One of the few disadvantages to living in the sticks in Canada is a scarcity of junkyards. I actually become quite envious of people like Terry (see link) who goes to junkyards all the time. Thanks to my Rosie, there are a couple of Volvo enthusiasts in town who try to be helpful, but the cheapest they could find was $179 for a used assembly. So I bought a reproduction on EBay and will bring it to my buddy, Skip, to install. And the ebay price, even with expensive shipping from Los Angeles, is only about $70 and that's Canadian!

I had to take the car back to the States for her inspection. I knew the license plate lights were out and one of the holders is broken. My car buddy in Maine let me slide on this but I have to fix it before next year's inspection. In the meantime, I bought a mini fluorescent light at Walmart and taped it above the license plate. I almost never drive at night anyway and this little light illuminates the plate better than the original. The wires coming through the hinge at the tailgate are severed so it's a pain in the ass job, but actually will be kind of painful fun.

More later.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I took the opportunity to google you after seeing the obituary for Bernie Ackerman in today's NY Times.

If I have the right person, e-mail me at clayt@optonline.net.

Remembering Tiemann Place...